Prepare your Scythes! The next adventure in the Shovel Knight saga is out today on Switch! Take control of Specter Knight, servant to the Enchantress, in a quest to recruit a cadre of knights and create the Order of No Quarter. Experience perfect platforming, world-class visuals, impeccable stage design, incredible music, and even meet a friend or two in Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment!
You can pick up Specter of Torment on Switch via the eShop for $9.99 as a standalone game, or get Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove for $24.99 which includes Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope, Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows, and Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment, plus more to come!
Don’t forget – Specter of Torment will release on all other platforms in April. This will be a free update to existing versions of Shovel Knight. We’re filling out paperwork and testing non-stop this month to get those out ASAP!
What Is Specter of Torment?!
Specter of Torment is a new game! It’s all new! What is it you ask? Well, here’s an idea of what you’ll see:
Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment is the action-packed prequel to Shovel Knight! With his scythe and preternatural agility at the ready, he can glide across the ground, clamber up walls, and command an arsenal of curious weapons.
If he carries out his duties to the Enchantress, Specter Knight may have a chance at regaining his lost humanity and breaking his chains of servitude. But what cruel tricks might the Enchantress have up her sleeve?
- Climb walls, leap over gaps, and dispatch enemies with the Dash Slash. Specter Knight’s playstyle brings motion and action to the forefront!
- Collect and upgrade Curios to unleash all new special attacks.
- Test your scythe skills with Feats and Challenge Stages featuring Boss rematches, platforming challenges, and more!
- Yacht Club Game’s beautifully authentic style bridges the gap between yesterday and today. Design, art, and audio hearken back to the days of 8-bit.
- Awesome 40 song soundtrack by Jake “Virt” Kaufman!
- Balanced gameplay is a warm welcome to newcomers, and an old embrace for experts.
- A somber tale told with a light touch to narrative with humor, levity, and heart.
- Crazy bosses and lovable characters.
- Take on a new challenge and uncover all of the world’s secrets with New Game+!
In addition there’s more stuff you may have missed!
- Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope Body Swap Mode: Did you ever wish Shovel Knight was a lady, or Shield Knight was a guy? Well, now you can change them all around however you want, with brand new designs for all of the main characters in Shovel of Hope!
- Five more Plague of Shadows challenge stages!
- Specter of Torment challenge stages!
- Shovel of Hope Co-op! – Grab a friend and play through Shovel of Hope as a fully cooperative adventure!
- Fairy of Shovelry: With the Shovel Knight amiibo, summon a whimsical spirit of Shovelry to keep you company during your quest through any campaign!
- Sound test! Listen to all your favorite tracks all in one place!
Need more info before you start?
We’ve been posting some pretty cool articles about everything that’s new in this version. Be sure to give these a read:
We’re super excited about the launch of the very latest update. If you are too and would like to join us instead of playing, we’ll be streaming just a little Specter of Torment and more cool games that inspired it starting at 6PM PDT today! Join us on our Twitch channel then!