Happy Holidays Shovelers and Shovelettes! We hear you’ve been wondering…when is the Shovel Knight amiibo hitting store shelves? What can I actually do with the amiibo? How does it all work?! Well, we’re here today to finally unearth all the answers to your amiibo questions. We’ve been hard at work the past year making the amiibo figure and content feel unique and special, and we’re excited to show off the first footage! That’s right – it’s trailer time!
Trademarks are property of their respective owners. © 2015 Nintendo.
Was that a date?!! Yes! Isn’t it really soon?! But also not soon enough! Let’s talk about the date:
North America: January 8th, 2016
Europe: December 11th, 2015
Price: MSRP $12.99, £10.99, EUR 14,99
You may be wondering why the Shovel Knight amiibo is coming out so much earlier in Europe! It was an agonizing decision, as production difficulties forced us to choose between rushing to ship a tiny, insufficient number of amiibo units before Christmas, or ship a good healthy supply of stock to North America just after Christmas. We’ve received hundreds of emails bemoaning the difficulty in finding some of your favorite amiibo, racing for a pre-order window, issues with scalpers, having trouble unlocking the new features you want to play; so, we made the decision to launch the amiibo in January so there would be enough units available. Hopefully, this later date will make buying a Shovel Knight amiibo easy and fair for everyone. So just be sure to save up that Christmas money for the new year!
On that note, if you’re interested in picking up the Shovel Knight amiibo, then we’d like to implore you to wait for it to release in your territory. There will be plenty and it will not be a limited run, so please don’t feel pressured into importing or buying from scalpers. Don’t spend more than the retail price! Also, keep in mind the new Shovel Knight amiibo features will not function on your game system in your territory until the listed release date. Thank you everyone for your patience!
Okay, enough calendar talk! Looks like a lot of new stuff, huh! Did we add too much content? Probably, but we were just so excited! Let’s go through what exactly what the amiibo unlocks.
Scanning the Shovel Knight amiibo on the level map or file select screen using your Wii U™ GamePad, New Nintendo 3DS™ Touch Screen, or Nintendo 3DS™ NFC Reader/Writer unlocks the following:
Deep Customization with Custom Knight!
- Level up to a max level of 50 by finding treasure!
- Earn relics in an all new way while uncovering all-new relics, abilities, and powers you never thought possible!
- Customize the look of your Shovel Knight with cool and crazy cosmetic options!
- Use your Custom Knight seamlessly between Nintendo 3DS and Wii U!
Cooperative Multiplayer (exclusive to Wii U)!!
- Join a friend’s Shovel Knight campaign and shovel together!
- Use your cooperative skills to help each other out along the way!
- Compete against each other collecting gold and defeating enemies to prove who is the true hero of Shovelry!
- Play with any combination: two Custom Knights, one Custom Knight/one Classic Knight, or 2 Classic Knights.
It wasn’t easy making Shovel Knight’s campaign completely co-op compatible, but once completed the team had a blast playing through side-by-side! It really feels like a whole new game, and we hope you give it a try! Maybe we can even embark on a new co-op adventure one day!
You can also scan the Shovel Knight amiibo on the Challenge Mode screen for:
Exclusive Challenge Stages!
- Battle your way through amiibo exclusive challenge stages that take advantage of the new Custom Knight relics and abilities!
- 5 new solo challenges and 5 new co-op challenges (exclusive to Wii U) await!
More To Come!
We’ll be posting an instruction manual and more details on release soon, so stay tuned! Be sure to pick up the amiibo and send us pictures when it becomes available in your area. As always, let us know your questions, comments, and concerns below. Hope everyone is as excited as we are!